Monday 14 July 2014

Monthly thrift | June

One thing I vowed to do in the new year was shop more sustainably. After joining the gym I wanted to stop spending money on clothes (as I've been hoping they wouldn't fit before long), and make more sensible purchases instead. As I work in the city center I spend most of my lunch breaks wandering around the shops just so that I can stretch my legs and get some fresh air, but with that comes spending money. So, I've been spending more time rummaging through charity/thrift shops, and less in high street shops. It definitely curbs my spending as 9 times out of 10 I don't find anything I want, likewise with going to the car boot sale.

Since the weather warmed up, Rich and I have dragged our sleepy behinds out of bed at 7am every Sunday to go to the car boot sale. There are times (like last weekend), where I find nothing. But there are also times when I leave with a bag full of goodies. My record collection has probably doubled in size so far this summer thanks to the 50p-£1 bargains. I know that if they are a bit dirty that it isn't the end of the world, in the long run it will save me a fortune. It also helps that Rich's Dad is a record dealer, so he cleans them for me, and gets us into the record fair for free - win win!

While thinking about things I'd like to blog about I thought I would write a regular post on what thrifty purchases I had made each month. So what have I been buying....?

A whole lot of records. All of these came in at under £30, including some mint condition vinyl...
 

Something else I collect is old Readers Digest books. I love the illustrations and how informative they are, they're great coffee table books...

 

I snapped up these vintage treats in local thrift and vintage stores, I can't wait to wear the dress very soon...


Sarah
xx

6 comments:

  1. The flamingo jug is pretty awesome too! I think this is a great way to curb spending, I do the same and as there is only one good charity shop in my local town and another which is a bit more hit and miss, it's like a double spending curb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even better then. I sometimes wish we had less shops but I guess that would also be inconvenient too.

      Delete
  2. that dress is so pretty... good finds! I find I have the opposite problem to you; when shopping on the high street I find nothing but whatever charity shop, whatever day, I ALWAYS find something to buy! my boyfriend bans me from going into them these days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm far too fussy when it comes to vintage clothes but I'm a sucker for a collar. Charity shops are the best.

      Delete
  3. Awesome flamingo jug! That pyrex dish is lovely too. The best part about charity shopping is that it's basically guilt free - you're essentially donating money to charity, and they just happen to be giving you a dress in return... ahem. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! You're doing a good deed and making your home/wardrobe look prettier in the process, everyones a winner!! xx

      Delete