Friday 24 January 2014

Pomps Patch #5

Is anyone else getting bored of this weather? I can't believe we can go from having horrendous, heavy rain one day and then a blue sky paradise the next. Anyway, on Sunday as the sun was shining and the birds were singing we threw on our wellies and stomped through the mud to our plot. There are some parts that are still too water logged to do anything too, but we were determined to sow our first load of seeds and so we got to work. While Rich raked over the beds, I pulled up a few plants that had been eaten and died off, we'd left them while we worked out what they were but they haven't shown any signs of life so out with the old and in with the new!

We're quite lucky and already have a bed of Asparagus, Strawberries and Rhubarb leftover from the last owner which are ticking along nicely. I've been going crazy in Poundland and Wilkos, buying a variety of seeds and fruit bushes, so this weekend we made a start on getting them in the ground. We have a whole bed of broad beans (I could eat a plate full on their own) and half a bed of onions which will be joined by garlic next month. I have 6 raspberry, 3 blueberry, 3 gooseberry and 3 redcurrent bushes that will be going in this weekend, along with a pear tree, and the cauliflower and tomatoes have been sown indoors, so I'm looking forward to watching their progress while I do my washing up!

I'm hoping that we'll have a dry day or two again this weekend, I desperately want to get the last few things in the ground for this month and make a start on tidying the other side of the plot up. There are all sorts of pieces of rotten carpet, material, and other debris all over the place, so with a bit of luck we can get it all to the tip and make room to clear the last of the weeds in time for a bonfire the following week. As I was pulling some carpet up on Sunday I uncovered a family of frogs and toads all snuggled up together, so we're hoping that by this weekend they may have moved on or we'll have to re-home them. 



I've been spending my evenings making the most of my christmas presents and totally geeking out over planning our plot and what we're going to grow, I'm in stationary heaven!

Hope you're all having a great week.

Sarah
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment