Thursday 21 June 2012

A football haters guide to Euro 2012

I HATE FOOTBALL!! I mean really hate it! The thought of 3 weeks of over payed, over groomed 'men' running around a pitch, disrupting my Eastenders watching routine, makes my blood boil. I mean children/people are dying from famine every second, half the world seems to be in a recession, fireman are running into burning buildings and risking their lives, and yet these fools are being paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to chase a ball? Yeah, cos that makes so much sense! 

Anyway, sadly Mr P is a massive football fan, and if I'm not at his house while he's watching it, I'm at home with my Dad and brother watching it, there is NO escape. So I've taken this as the perfect opportunity to get back into reading. I usually read a lot in the summer because it's so easy to sit outside with a book for hours on end. So after a fairly book free winter, it's time to pick up the paperbacks and get stuck in. My reading list is:


1. Live Fast, Die Young by Chris Price and Joe ... - a book about rock music and california in the 70s. I'm a big classic rock fan, the first gig I went to was The Eagles, and with them being a big part of the book I'm looking forward to reading it.

2. Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. Now I'm not usually one for chick lit but the Shopaholic series is a definite guilty pleasure. I haven't read one of these books for years so it'll be interesting to see how easy it is to get into. 

3. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. A total reverse from 'Mini Shopaholic'. This book was recommended to me by a local tattooist, being a fan of gore and horror it sounded like an 'interesting' read. 

4. Dawn of the Dreadfuls by . Last summer I read 'Pride, Prejudice and Zombies', so it felt right that this summer included another book from the alternative classics series.

5. We Bought A Zoo by Benjamin Mee. If you're a regular at my blog you'll know I recently went to Dartmoor Zoo, the zoo that this book is about and written by Ben, the man who bought the zoo. I'm really looking forward to hearing about his adventures and how the zoo came to be the way it is now.

6. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I have just finished reading this book and I can safely say that I could not put it down. It's a truly inspirational read, a total eye opener and so so enjoyable. Obviously I had to get the film to watch too (although there is never a real comparison between book vs film, the books always wins hands down). 

I like to see what other bloggers are reading, especially Anna and Dani who have definitely influenced this post :)

If you're a football fan I hope you're enjoying it, if not how are you occupying your evenings? The end is now in sight, yipee!!!

Sarah
xx

4 comments:

  1. Ahh I love The Help, such a good read! I've also read mini shopoholic bit I thought it was a good read but didn't realise it was part of a series so now I know what happens! I've heard American Psycho is a tough read because it is so graphic, will be interesting to hear what you think! I've been doing the same through the football and just reading my way through as Lee watches avidly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd still recommend the other shopaholics, the first couple are a lot better than the later ones.
      I'll definitely let you know about American Psycho, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that it's the graphic details that have made me want to read it. After watching every gore film under the sun I had to try it.
      Have you got enough books to survive the Olympics too? It's a tough summer! xx

      Delete
  2. My way of avoiding all the football lately (and crap tv in general!!) has been to raid Blockbuster! Caught up on some lovely films and managed to fit in a few 'date nights' with the OH (who's not into footy anyway, woohoo!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah we've been doing that too (sadly only when the football isn't on). There are so many films I missed watching at the cinema or when they were first released in that 99p section. I've also just discovered that you can get cheap rentals from the local library :)

      Delete